Mar 9, 2013

If We Survive - Andrew Klavan


They came on a mission of mercy, but now they’re in a fight for their lives.
High schooler Will Peterson and three friends journeyed to Central America to help rebuild a school. In a poor, secluded mountain village, they won the hearts of the local people with their energy and kindness.
But in one sudden moment, everything went horribly wrong. A revolution swept the country. Now, guns and terror are everywhere—and Americans are being targeted as the first to die.
Will and his friends have got to get out fast. But streets full of killers . . . hills patrolled by armies . . . and a jungle rife with danger stand between them and the border. Their one hope of escape lies with a veteran warrior who has lost his faith and may betray them at any moment. Their one dream is to reach freedom and safety and home.
If they can just survive. (From the Back of the Book)

Wow, just wow... I don't know whether or not to sigh with relief that this book has finally ended (and I can actually breath at a normal pace), or just turn it over and go through it all again!
I've said several times how much I love Klavan's books, but man, I'm speechless  my min d is blank just trying to grasp at anything, to form a complete thought. Fast paced doesn't even begin to cover it.
This book had my emotions so tied up, one moment I wanted to hug the book to myself and giggle like a 3-year-old, because it was just too awesome to be real, and the next I wanted to use it as target practice. It was insane! There were several times while reading this book I had to remind myself to breath. A bit of a new experience for me! I kept reminding myself that everything would be okay, that there'd be no point in writing the book if they didn't get out of one particular situation.
Klavan outdid himself with this book.
It seemed like every half second something else was going wrong. I even shook the book a few times trying to get it all to slow down, to stop. This book was incredible. I am in complete and utter awe right now.
I felt like I couldn't set the book down until I had read over half of it. But it never let up.
This is an Andrew Klavan book, I was expecting greatness, but this, this is something completely different.
I even considered praying for the characters toward the end, but then I remembered it was just a book.
I only have one complaint that seems terribly petty compared to the rest of the book. The one character, Meredith, just seemed too, I don't know, too hard to believe. She was great and wonderful just a little too hard to grasp and understand. She didn't really make sense to me, but it may have just been me. Like I said, my complaint seems petty considering how amazing this book is.
I absolutely loved the main character, Will. Wow, that guy had some guts. Some of the things he did, some of the things he was willing to sacrifice, it made me wonder if I'd be willing to stand firm in a situation like that. Not that i face down crocodiles on a regular basis, but you never know, right?
All I can say is I don't care who you are, or how old you are, this book is a must read. Just don't steal it from the book store, okay? :-P
Title - If We Survive
Author - Andrew Klavan
Pages - 344
Type of Book - Christian Action/Adventure
Website - http://www.andrewklavan.com/

No comments: