Feb 15, 2012

Do Hard Things: A Teenage Rebellion Against Low Expectations

A generation stands on the brink of a "rebelution." A growing movement of young people is rebelling against the low expectations of today's culture by choosing to "do hard things" for the glory of God.  And Alex and Brett Harris are leading the charge.

Do Hard Things is the Harris twins' revolutionary message in its purest and most compelling form, giving readers a tangible glimpse of what is possible for teens who actively resist cultural lies that limit their potential.

Combating the idea of adolescence as a vacation from responsibility, the authors weave together biblical insights, history, and modern examples to redefine the teen years as the launching pad of life.  Then they map out five powerful ways teens can respond for personal and social change.

Written by teens for teens, Do Hard Things is packed with humorous personal anecdotes, practical examples, and stories of real-life rebelutionaries in action. This rallying cry from the heart of an already-happening teen revolution challenges a generation to lay claim to a brighter future, starting today.

"Most people don't expect you to understand what we're going to tell you in this book. And even if you understand, they don't expect you to care. And even if you care, they don't expect you to do anything about it. And even if you do something about it, they don't expect it to last. We do." – Alex and Brett

From Amazon 



I’ve seen this book several times in the magazines we get from Christian Book Distributors (which to me are like Lego catalogs are to my brother :-P), and it’s also been suggested to me recently, and I thought that it’d be a really great read.
I was wrong. Dead wrong.
It was absolutely incredible!
This book had me hooked from the moment I read the first page! Two chapters later I was convinced that every person in the world needed to get their hands on this book!
This is more than a “good read” it’s amazing!  And it shouldn’t be just for teens either! I can only imagine how this book would change the world if, adults especially, read this book! Their view on teenagers would change drastically. Not all of us lazily loaf around all day. (Shocker, right?) We’re adults in training! Yearning to do something more with our lives! We are rebelutionaries waiting to be set free! Through this book I have found my calling, or my passion if you will. I can’t wait to share it with you guys, but not yet. I want to get more information on it and some more statistics, before I share it with you guys.

The authors of Do Hard Things are two homeschooled twin brothers, Alex and Brett Harris, younger brothers to Joshua Harris, a pastor as well as a fellow author. Do Hard Things is written in a fun conversational style with some really cool historical figures stories, as well as testimonies from everyday teens who were willing to step outside their comfort ones to do something hard, not for their own glory, but for the glory of God! It also includes some of Alex and Brett’s personal stories, and I’ll warn you now, *dies* there is one in particular that’ll have you rolling! :-P
Over all it is a terrific book! One of the best I’ve ever read (and that’s saying a lot)! It’ll really make you think about all the things in your life that need to change. Whether it’s at school, at home, or with you friends, this book will push you to do better, and not just for your sake bur for God’s glory. Doing hard things is a huge thing to take on and you’ll face opposition and doubt. But it has helped me realize what I need to be doing and that, *cringe* procrastination is not okay. But Jesus is helping me with that. Its not particularly fun but it is necessary.
Doing hard things is never easy, that’s why we have Jesus. He doesn’t just get us through the “bad” stuff; He gets us through life in general because we can’t do it. Without Him we are nothing. But He is the one who chooses to make us great; and for His glory, not ours.
Title: Do Hard Things: A Teenage Rebellion Against Low Expectations
Author(s): Alex & Brett Harris  
Type of Book: Nonfiction
241 pages
Website: TheRebelution.com

No comments: