Jun 5, 2012

Catching Fire – Suzanne Collins Book Review

Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has won the annual Hunger Games with fellow district tribute Peeta Mellark. But it was a victory won by defiance of the Capitol and their harsh rules. Katniss and Peeta should be happy. After all, they have just won for themselves and their families a life of safety and plenty. But there are rumors of rebellion among the subjects, and Katniss and Peeta, to their horror, are the faces of that rebellion. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge. (From Amazon.com)
Hmmm, what did I think of Catching Fire? Horrible. Absolutely awful. Have I mentioned that I have a passionate hatred for books that have abrupt or ‘to be continued’ endings? Well I do. Very much so, especially when the sequel isn’t an arms length away! ARG!
On the other hand, since the ending of the first book I knew that Catching Fire would be more intense; after all of the tension that had built in The Hunger Games it must combust sometime. And it did in a number of ways. I was pleaded. I think this book kept me more entertained that The Hunger Games.
But unfortunately this book did have a pretty big downer for me. Yeah you guessed it, romantic guck. :~( Sure call me old fashioned or redundant if you want, but this girls is sticking to her guns. There was several times where I thought the scenes were highly unnecessary and I really didn’t see the point in it. Sure they may have made the book more interesting in some minor ways, but there is plenty of other ways to make a book more interesting.
One thing in particular that really bothered me was the whole Peeta and Katniss sleeping together thing. Nightmares or not, it made me extremely uncomfortable. But just to specify I am not tryingto push my views on anyone, this is just what I see as wrong as a Christian. But my dislike of romantic things is just the realistic side of me as well as my opinion. 
Other than these few things the book was fine. Once again Collins did a great job on her character development. I think more so in this book than in the first book! Though this book is not a favorite, I enjoyed it. Other than that ending… *Grumbles*
I am dreading getting the next book, Mockingjay, for two reasons; first the whole romantic factor, of course, and second, and most important, is because I am afraid that when that automated lady from the library (who cannot pronounce my name right! UGH!), calls that I might wet myself in anticipation. 0_0
Needless to say I had some overly conflicted emotions about this book.
Do I dare hope Mockingjay will be any better?
Title-Catching Fire
Author-Suzanne Collins
Pages-391
Type of Book-Fiction
Website-http://www.suzannecollinsbooks.com/

No comments: