Aug 23, 2012

The Orphan King - Sigmund Brouwer Book Review

My greatest fear was that they would find us and make of us a sacrifice beneath a full moon. Now you, Thomas, must help us destroy the circle of evil.

The last words of a dying woman would change the life of young Thomas. Raised behind monastery walls, he knows nothing of his mysterious past or imminent destiny. But now, in the heart of medieval England, a darkness threatens to strangle truth. An ancient order tightens their ghostly grip on power, creating fear and exiling those who would oppose them. Thomas is determined fulfill his calling and bring light into the mysterious world of the Druids and leaves the monastery on an important quest.

Thomas quickly finds himself in unfamiliar territory, as he must put his faith in unusual companions—a cryptic knight, a child thief, and the beautiful, silent woman whom may not be all she seems.  From the solitary life of an orphan, Thomas now finds himself tangled in the roots of both comradery and suspicion.

Can he trust those who would join his battle…or will his fears force him to go on alone? (From Amazon.com)

The description of this book interested me so I decided to get it from the library. Though this book was good the beginning was really confusing. Obviously this author has another series that this one branches from, at least that's what I gathered from the Author's Note in this book.
Also there wasn't a whole lot of description or explanations for a lot of what happened in this book. So most of the time I was pretty confused. There wasn't much character development, also.
I would almost have to say this book would be better suited for younger readers. I don't know, I guess you could say I am a more advanced reader.
While I wouldn't call the writing style excellent, it was decent, meaning I've read better and I've read worse.
The overall story line was good but again there seemed to be so much lacking it's hard to see where it will go. And the next book won't be out until February, which i'll read of for no other reason than to quench my curiosity.
Title- The Orphan King
Author- Sigmund Brouwer
Series/Trilogy Title- Merlin's Immortals - Book 1
Pages- 220
Type of Book- Fiction
Website- http://www.sigmundbrouwer.com/

No comments: