Jan 5, 2013

The Lost Hero - Rick Riordan

Jason has a problem. He doesn't remember anything before waking up on a school bus holding hands with a girl. Apparently she's his girlfriend Piper, his best friend is a kid named Leo, and they're all students in the Wilderness School, a boarding school for "bad kids". What he did to end up here, Jason has no idea, except that everything seems wrong. Piper has a secret. Her father has been missing for three days, and her vivid nightmares reveal that he's in terrible danger. Now her boyfriend doesn't recognize her, and when a freak storm and strange creatures attack during a field trip, she, Jason, and Leo are whisked away to someplace called Camp Half-Blood. What is going on? Leo has a way with tools. His new cabin at Camp Half-Blood is filled with them. Seriously, the place beats Wilderness School hands down, with its weapons treaning, monsters, and fine-looking girls. What's troubling is the curse everyone keeps talking about, and that a camper's gone missing. Weirdest of all, his bunkmates insist they are all, including Leo, related to a god. (From Amazon.com)
I recently read Riordan's Percy Jackson and the Olympians series and I was excited to find out there is another series-in-the-works that branches off of it.
The Lost Hero is the first book in Riordan's new series titled The Heroes of Olympus While I loved the Percy Jackson series, The Lost Hero really fell short of my expectations.
First there was the whole romantic aspect between some of the characters which kind of seemed pointless to me.
I had a hard time getting into the story at first, and some the characters were unfamiliar that made it a little difficult too.
On the plus side, the ending was very intriguing! Though I sort of expected it, it was still a bit of a cliffhanger. Thankfully I already have the next book from the library!
I liked the book overall it just fell short of my expectations based on the Percy Jackson books. Great book, I liked it a lot, but I didn't quite love it. Hopefully the next book will be better?
Title - The Lost Hero
Author - Rick Riordan
Series/Trilogy Title - The Heroes of Olympus
Pages - 557
Website - http://www.rickriordan.com/home.aspx

No comments: