Sep 28, 2013

Sapphique - Catherine Fisher

Finn has escaped from the terrible living prison of Incarceron, but its memory torments him, because his brother Keiro is still inside. Outside, Claudia insists he must be king, but Finn doubts even his own identity. Is he the lost prince Giles? Or are his memories no more than another construct of his imprisonment? And can you be free if your friends are still captive? Can you be free if your world is frozen in time? Can  you be free if you don't even know who you are? Inside Incarceron, has the crazy sorcerer Rix really found the Glove of Sapphique, the only man the Prison ever loved, Sapphique, whose image fires Incarceron with the desire to escape its own nature. If Keiro steals the glove, will he bring destruction to the world? Inside. Outside. All seeking freedom. Like Sapphique
Wow... I wasn't sure it was possible but this book was better than the first!
So much happened in this book I feel like my brain is still trying to catch up! I loved all the different twists and turns. I wouldn't say it was a terribly fast paced book, but it certainly kept my attention!
And I loved the characters! I can't choose just one anymore, I love nearly all of them! Finn, Claudia, Jared, Keiro, they are all amazingly complex and well written.
Though something I noticed in the previous book, Incarceron, was that the story wasn't told by just one person at a time. It was told by multiple people at the same time. One moment Claudia is seeing something through her perspective and the next paragraph you're given Finn's perspective on the same thing. It can be a little confusing at times, and sometimes I had to reread it several times before I understood who was doing or seeing which thing. But once I got used to it, it wasn't too noticeable.
I love the character's struggles; the different things that confront them. In some ways, I know it sounds terrible, but I like seeing their fear, it's very convincing!
Surprisingly I loved the end of this book, it was perfect. Though it still left me wanting more, I thought it was very well executed, though part of the ending was kind of sad...
But to my relief, there was no romance!
Then there was the profanity... It was less than the first book! Probably only 3 words, if that.
But yeah, otherwise the book was marvelous!
I loved it!
Title - Sapphique
Author - Catherine Fisher
Series/Trilogy Title - Incarceron
Book in Series/Trilogy - #2
Pages - 462
Type of Book - YA Dystopia
Website - http://www.catherine-fisher.com/index.asp

EDIT: When I wrote this review I assumed that there was a third book; apparently that is not so. Turns out that Catherine Fisher has no plans to write an third book, though she is not completely opposed to it. Hopefully she does write another one. My opinion of this books ending has changed knowing that it's the "final" book. I loved the ending believing that there was going to be another book, but now that I know there isn't going to be one, it seems incredibly incomplete, there are too many questions that are unanswered for it to be acceptable. In my opinion there is no way you can leave off like that. But still, it's a very, very good book, it just has a very incomplete ending. I'm really hoping that Fisher changes her mind and gives us a final book.

No comments: