Nov 30, 2013

Legend - Marie Lu

What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic's wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic's highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country's most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.
From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths - until the day June's brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family's survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias's death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.
I had heard some good things about this book so I decided to give it a try.
I was aware of the romance before I started it, so it didn't surprise me. It wasn't a terrible romance, but it was predictable.
I liked Day, he was interesting and honestly was the one that kept me reading.
June was kind of "meh", she wasn't a bad character or anything, I just didn't relate to her as well as I did with Day. I did feel as though June's lack of emotion at the death of her brother, was a mistake on the author's part.
In my opinion June should have been WAY more vengeful toward Day, even before she realized who he was! She has great potential though, so I hope to see Lu build on that.
But Day on the other hand seemed very real, his love for his family and willingness to sacrifice himself for their safety was very admirable.
This is a little off subject, but has anyone else ever really liked the "wrong" character? Who of the charaters I really liked in this book either died or turned out to be evil! For real? Anyone else ever had problems like this? It wouldn't be the first time if it was just me! :-P
Aaanyway... I enjoyed the plot and setting, though sometimes it seemed typical.
In all honesty, I've read better. But it's not like it was a terrible book or anything, it just didn't grab me like I'd hoped.
I do plan on reading the second book, but I am hoping that it'll be better.
It was an okay book, not awesome. not awful.
Title - Legend
Author - Marie Lu
Series/Trilogy Title - Legend
Book in Series/Trilogy - #1
Pages - 305
Type of Book - Dystopia
Website - http://marielu.org/index.html

No comments: