Nov 9, 2013

The Runaway King - Jennifer A. Nielsen

A kingdom teetering on the brink of destruction. A king gone missing. Who will survive? Find out in the highly anticipated sequel to Jennifer A. Nielsen's blockbuster The False Prince!
Just weeks after Jaron has taken the throne, an assassination attempt forces him into a deadly situation. Rumors of a coming war are winding their way between the castle walls, and Jaron feels the pressure quietly mounting within Carthya. Soon, it becomes clear that deserting the kingdom may be his only hope of saving it. But the further Jaron is forced to run from his identity, the more he wonders if it is possible to go too far. Will he ever be able to return home again? Or will he have to sacrifice his own life in order to save his kingdom?
The stunning second installment of The Ascendance Trilogy takes readers on a roller-coaster ride of treason and murder, thrills and peril, as they journey with the Runaway King!

After reading the first book, The False Prince, I couldn't wait to get stated on this book!
I noticed a few things right off, one of which was the humor, while it still made me laugh out loud though there were fewer funny parts. Though not altogether a bad thing, the book had a more serious tone compared to the first one, and understandably so.
There really wasn't any romance in this book, I did like how the book ended with King Jaron and Princess Amarinda on good terms, I mean if they have to get married they might as well become friends, right?
This book did end on a bit of a cliffhanger, though it was kind of predictable, but it didn't lessen the blow. Nielsen better have the next book published soon, or I might implode before then!
There were some things that I didn't see coming but I don't think this book was as unpredictable as the first one; but it still was an incredibly well written book.
I ate up all the emotional consequences for Jaron, they were steep but very good!
I wouldn't say I liked this book any less than the first one, I love both books and cannot wait for the third one!
Title - The Runaway King
Author - Jennifer A, Neilsen
Series/Trilogy Title - The Ascendance Trilogy
Book in Series/Trilogy - #2
Pages - 331
Type of Book - Fantasy
Website - http://www.jennielsen.com/

No comments: