May 21, 2012

The Hunger Games – Suzanne Collins Review


Katniss is a 16-year-old girl living with her mother and younger sister in the poorest district of Panem, the remains of what used be the United States. Long ago the districts waged war on the Capitol and were defeated. As part of the surrender terms, each district agreed to send one boy and one girl to appear in an annual televised event called, "The Hunger Games." The terrain, rules, and level of audience participation may change but one thing is constant: kill or be killed. When Katniss's sister is chosen by lottery, Katniss steps up to go in her place. (From Amazon.com) 
Originally I wasn’t going to read The Hunger Games, but after finding out that one of my cousins (who doesn’t like to read a lot), was reading the books, I was curious. Then she told me that her youth pastor had read them and did a series on them in Youth Group, I was very interested. So just after Easter I put a hold on the first book, and let me tell you, the waiting list was incredibly long! But recently we saw that part of my family again and my aunt asked if I’d like to borrow their copy of The Hunger Games.
Hmmm… let me think about that one; wait a really long time to get it from the library, or have it right now… Yeah, that was a no-brainer! So I finished it in a little over 2 days!
What did I think? Well, at first I was a little rough on the book. I guess I didn’t want to admit I liked it. Though it was very interesting to me, the whole United States destroyed, divided up into districts, the purpose of the games themselves, and whatnot. But the more I read the more I liked the characters and plot. I loved how well it was written, very engaging.
But that doesn’t mean I thought it was perfect. Unfortunately it had the whole romance factor. :-( Though unlike Veronica Roth’s ‘Divergent’ (click here), it wasn’t totally focused around the romance, which was very nice. There were also some interesting similarities between The Hunger Games and Divergent, but I won’t go into all that, too many spoilers involved!
As far as violence goes, I am not squeamish in the least, so it didn’t really bother me. What others find as morbid, I just pass off as fiction. The movie might give me a bit more to think about though.
So in the end Suzanne Collins won me over. I do really like it! Now I want to see the movie! I’ve been told it follows the book pretty well, so all the more reason to see it! I find it hard to totally judge fairly without having read the other 2 books, but I hope to have the 2nd book ‘Catching Fire’ by Sunday, and I should get the 3rd book from the library here soon. I will probably do reviews on them as well.
Overall I thought it was really cool! I am definitely excited about getting the next book!
Title: The Hunger Games
Author: Suzanne Collins
Pages: 374
Type of Book: Fiction

No comments: