Sep 16, 2012

The Errant King - Wayne Thomas Batson Book Review

Deep in the caves of the distant Hinderlands, an ancient menace stirs. Townsfolk shudder at violent memories of The Red Queen and even dare to whisper the name Raudrim. At the same time, word comes to Alastair that Cythraul has at last resurfaced, seeking a devastating weapon in the ruins of Grayvalon. Blood-soaked clues lead Alastair into a confrontation from which only one warrior will return alive. Meanwhile in Anglinore, young Lochlan Stormgarden, the new High King of Myriad, leaves the pomp and politics of the throne once too often. While blending in with the people of his kingdom, Loch suddenly realizes that he's put them all at risk. The fate of his new found love Arianna, his best friend Telwyn, his family, and indeed the world of Myriad all depend on the decisions of the errant king. (From Amazon.com)
I've finally read this book! I read the first book quite a while ago and had plans to read this book, but I just never got around to it. That and the fact that I really wanted my own copy, which I now have! I am so happy! :-D
This book was breathtakingly spectacular! Batson has been one of my favorite Christian fantasy authors since I discovered him about a year ago. I. LOVE. HIS. WORK.
But I am haivng some mixed feelings toward him about now. This book was amazing! I loved the characters! Some old favorites came back in this book as well as some really great new ones. Though you have absolutely no idea how angry I was when someone was murdered in heartless unnecessary cold blood. I was seething! That takes a really good author to do that to me, I mean really good. I am still upset over those particular deaths! Batson really knows how to make you care about his characters! But the worst injustice to be had is the ending of this book! People are dying, Myriad is being conquered, and then it just decides to end! That my friends is the worst thing an author can do to their readers! I think if they're going to do that the next book better be coming out TOMORROW! Arg! I am very grumpy about this, and I am seriously considering rethinking this whole favorite author thing.
There wasn't a whole lot of romance, it was okay.
I loved this book almost as much as I dislike it. It was incredibly horrible all at the same time! I love books who's setting is a nonexistent fantasy world, such as say Narnia or Middle Earth, but Batson seems to take it to a whole new level of imagination! Talking swords, a seemingly invincible dragon, an immortal man, and a hero yet to truly rise! I love it! I love it all! Oh and I can't forget all the different sorts of people in Myriad! Stunning! It's really hard to go into any sort of detail without giving the entire book away! But it is amazing!
'Nuf said.
Go read it! But watch out for that beastly ending!
Title- The Errant King
Author- Wayne Thomas Batson
Series/Trilogy Title- The Dark Sea Annals book 2
Pages-
Type of Book- Fiction
Website- http://enterthedoorwithin.blogspot.com/

No comments: