Feb 7, 2013

The Mark of Athena - Rick Riordan


Annabeth is terrified. Just when she's about to be reunited with Percy, after six months of being apart, thanks to Hera, it looks like Camp Jupiter is preparing for war. Annabeth and her friends Jason, Piper, and Leo fly in on the Argo II, she can't blame the Roman demigods for thinking the ship is a Greek weapon. With it's steaming bronze dragon masthead, Leo's fantastical creation doesn't appear friendly. Annabeth hopes that the sight of their praetor Jason on deck will reassure the Romans that the visitors from Camp Half-Blood are coming in peace.
And that's only one of her worries. In her pocket Annabeth carries a gift from her mother that came with an unnerving demand: Follow the Mark of Athena. Avenge Me. Annabeth already feels weighed down by the prophecy that will send seven demigods on a quest to find, and close, the Doors of Death. What more doesn Athena want from her?
Annabeth's biggest fear, though is that Percy might have changed. What if he's ow attached to Roman ways? Does he still need his old friends. As the daughter of the goddess of war and wisdom, Annabeth knows she was born to be a leader, but never again does she want to be without Seaweed Brain by her side.
Narrated by four different demigods, The Mark of Athena is an unforgettable journey across land an sea to Rome, where important discoveries, surprising sacrifices, and unspeakable horrors await. Climb aboard the Argo II, if you dare... (From Back of Book)

This book was terrifically terrible, or terribly terrific, I still can't decide. So far The Mark of Athena is the best book in the series, in my opinion. Riordan did an amazing job! But that doesn't mean I  enjoyed it. I am bursting with Spoilers, but I'll keep it clean, I promise.
I don't know id I should be heart broken or hopeful.
In this book seven very different demigods come together as a team. There was romance but honsetly not as much as I'd anticipated; thankfully. The love triangles weren't that bad either, (thank you, Riordan!).
The worst thing was the end
It was a total and deliberate cliffhanger. Which is to say, Rick Riordan, You did an epic job! But I still hat it. I will most likely by wandering around the house muttering my displeasure for another day or two.
But I loved Leo! He had me rolling a few times! *dies* TEAM LEO!
And Percy... well let's just say laughter ensued.
Though I would have liked to have Hazel's perspective from time to time, maybe in the next book.
Speaking of the next book, The House of Hades isn't set to hit the shelves until October!! What a disgrace! 
There must be a law against this sort of thing!
I love cliffhangers when I have the next book within grasp, but really? REALLY!?
Yes, I will be stewing over this for the next couple of days... or years.
This is one book I am conflicted over whether or not to suggest for you to read or not. Cliffhangers will be the death of me. 
One thing that really strikes me about Riordan's books is that none of the gods are perfect, they're flawed, because the real God, the Creator, Redeemer  and Friend can only be perfect. We as humans can try to fill that empty void inside us but we don't realize that it Jesus who shaped it and only he can truly fulfill our hearts.
The verdict? Hated it. Loved it. Hated it. Loved it. 
I'm a little torn at the moment. You decide my dear readers, if the risk is worth taking. 
Title - The Mark of Athena
Author - Rick Riordan
Series/Trilogy Title - The Heroes of Olympus
Book in the Series/Trilogy - #3
Pages - 586
Type of Book - Fiction

No comments: