Apr 26, 2013

The Kill Order - James Dashner

The prequel to the New York Times bestselling Maze Runner series.
Before WICKED was formed, before the Glade was built, before Thomas entered the Maze, sun flares hit the earth and mankind fell to disease.
Mark and Trina were there when it happened, and they survived. But surviving the sun flares was easy compared to what came next.
Now a disease of rage and lunacy races across the eastern United States, and there's something suspicious about its origin. Worse yet, it's mutating, and all evidence suggests that it will bring humanity to its knees.
Mark and Trina are convinced there's a way to save those left living from descending into madness. And they're determined to find it—if they can stay alive. Because in this new, devastated world, every life has a price. And to some, you're worth more dead than alive. (Barnes & Noble)

Wow, this book, just, wow. I thought I knew what I was in for, but it turns out I was wrong. This book was so much more than I ever expected. I was so good!
The Kill Order tells about the time before Thomas and The Maze Runner took place. It's about a world reciently destroyed by sun flares, that is quickly devastated again, by a fast spreading, mutating virus called The Flare.
While this book is considered a prequel to The Maze Runner books I would definitely recommend reading the other three books before this one.
Something in the writing of this book struck me as different compared to the other books, it felt deeper, more, I don't know, slower, maybe? Though that isn't a bad thing! In fact I think this is my favorite book in the series!
The Characters! Oh my goodness! I absolutely loved Alec and Mark! Despite the books actual length, the book felt shorter than what I really was, and I couldn't believe how quickly I fell in love with the characters!
Though the end felt rushed to me. It's hard to give a good reason without spoiling the book, but it felt like everything happened too quickly and then, it was just over. 
I thought the ending was a little strange as well, but surprisingly I wasn't overly, hmmm, what's the right wording? Ripped to pieces? 
Title - The Kill Order
Author - James Dashner
Series/Trilogy Title - The Maze Runner
Book in Series/Trilogy - Prequel
Pages - 327
Type of Book - Dystopia Fiction
Website - http://www.jamesdashner.com/  

No comments: